2014. február 1., szombat

Post office experience

When I came to India, I had no expectations, but Rishikesh nourished me and I was surprised every day, how woderfully works out everything. The traffic, the yoga course, the restaurants, only live animals on the street. I was impressed. But Goa...

I had a package to post. Small, soft, no issues should have been with that. But there was... even more I could imagine in my nightmares.
First of all, did I mention already that Goa is greedy? All basic needs are charged for extra. If you ask why, they tell you: you are white, so you are rich. Let me tell you an example. One day I walked down from the beach and missed the path to the behind roads (there are path every 50 meters leading to the road paralell to the beach. It is easier and quicker walking on the beach, the only thing is that you can do it on foot only. If you need a car it drives you in a much longer way). Instead of turning back I continued my walk on the hidden roads. I asked some local guys where was my entrance, they showed me the longer way, which was on the road, and offered me their taxi services.  Bustards. An other white guy helped me showing the beach road, so I was back on the road in 5 minutes. Sorry indian guys, you really don't make it easier for me to like you in Goa....
So back to the package. 
There are many private post offices around Arambol, but charging multiple times the original official price for the same package. Why? Because they can do that. And you just don't know that tiny little information about the local office. 1 kg package postal cost is around 200 rupees from there, but the local ones charge you 1000. And the private ones charge you for the first kg, no matter if it is less weight. So why not taking the time, what I actually have, to walk to government owned post office and send the package from there..
The official, goverment owned post office is a bit far, 30 minutes walk from the centre, but I was committed.
I reached there and surprisingly they were open. So I just wanted to get rid of my package and go, but I had to provide copy of my passport (!) and also bring the package to a taylor (!!) to pack it for me (!!!) cause the post office doesn't deal with packaging (!!!!). And by the way if I want a tracking nr (so there is less risk to be stolen) it costs more. :-D  How funny is that! Of course there is no taylor in the neighbourhood, and they already told me to go back the next day, as it is a full day procedure to get everything done. Remember I just fucking wanted to send a fucking average package with 2 clothes in it.
So I went to a taylor and asked to wrap it for me (and this was my mistake to assume it is something special). Aaand the taylor didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Packaging to post an item? No idea, never heard about that. Fine. Lets move to the other one, maybe I was just unlucky. 
After the 3rd try, the 3rd time of explaining the situation and excusing myself I strated to realize why the close private post offices are so expensive. And also I was thinking to take their service. No stress, they do everything for you. I actually ended up at one of them, and asked only the packing, which I bargained of course.. They look at you and tell you a price! unbelievable! So finally I got it wrapped. Yessss, lucky mee!  Guess what. They took a big thread and needle, took a material and just sew around. That was it.  So during that I started to bargain for at least consider taking this item for the exact weight, no more. We had a deal. I paid just a little extra and didn't have the pain in the arse. 
So if anyone wanted a package from Goa, sorry, I would rather die...
So far here are some pictures about my walk to the post office :-)

This one is a huge tree, part of a street market where many vegetables and fruits are available. Beautiful view.


This is the school of Arambol. Kids are playing cricket here. You can see a schoolbus in the background. All the students wear uniforms. I feel like in an american movie from the 30's.

Spice market joke. Cash and carry curry. Why not Cashew and curry? :-)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése